This soup was like a creamy, cheesey potato soup. It is very hearty and even the pickest of eaters will enjoy it. Serve it with a crusty bread to have a perfect comfort food meal.
1/2 pound ground beef or veggie crumbles
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup small chopped carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
4 tablespoons butter, divided
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups of Velveeta processed cheese cubed
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Serve with crumbled back and sour cream if desired.
1. Brown the ground beef or veggie crumbles. If using ground beef drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan add 1 T butter and add onion, carrots, parsley flakes, basil and celery. We doubled the carrots instead of using the celery. Saute until tender.
3. Add the broth, potatoes and beef/veggie crumbles and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. In small skillet melt remaining butter (3 T) and add the flour. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
5. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts.