If you are looking for a white cake and frosting recipe this is it. I searched forever to find the perfect white frosting recipe so I almost rejoiced when I discovered this recipe a couple years ago. After I first made this cake for Christmas dinner it became our mom's favorite cake so we made it for her birthday this year and I decided it deserved a repost to show you how pretty it could be with tiny sprinkles and some gel food coloring. Oh and just look at that thick layer for frosting!
Ingredients for Cake:
1 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 cups cake flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
5 egg whites
Ingredients for Frosting:
2 cups shortening
1/2 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (32 ounce) packages confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 - 3/4 cup water
Directions for Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 3 (8-inch) round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper, and grease and flour paper. We only made a two layer cake.
2. Stir together milk and vanilla.
3. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Sift together flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
4. Beat egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; discard parchment paper. Cool completely (about 40 minutes).
Directions for Frosting:
1. In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening creamer and extracts.
2. Gradually beat in the confectioners sugar.
3. Add in enough water (starting with almost 1/2 cup) until frosting reaches desired consistency.
4. Optional add in food coloring until the desired shade is achieved.