On The Menu: Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel
I love hitting pause mid-morning and sitting down for a few minutes to a sweet breakfast pastry and a cup of coffee. Although I do not practice it on a regular basis it can be a nice little ritual. What makes it even better is when the morning treat is homemade and my current favorites are this brown sugar pound cake with caramel sauce and this delicious coffee cake with its cinnamon streusel center and top. The top of this coffee cake gets a great crunch and the pecans are an amazing touch.
Ingredients For The Cake:
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
Ingredients For Streusel:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted pecans
Ingredients For Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
1. Excluding the pecans and butter mix all of the ingredients for the streusel together. Then cut the butter in. Next fold in the pecans.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Butter a bunt pan.
4. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a bowl.
5. Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Continue to beat until well combined.
6. Evenly spread half of the streusel into the pan.
7. Spoon half of the batter on top of the streusel.
8. Even cover with the remaining streusel and then the remaining batter.
9. Bake until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
10. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then turn the cake out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
11. Once the cake is cool make the glaze by mixing together the confectioners' sugar and milk. Then drizzle it over the cake.